Wednesday 8 March 2017

International Women's Day 2017


Rebecca Timms is a fabulous member of our Rio Roller family. We had the pleasure of speaking with her today in honour of IWD, to discover a little bit more about her skating and inspirations!


How long have you been skating?
4 years

How did you discover skating?
My boyfriend at the time left to work abroad and, feeling lonely and sorry for myself, I got dragged along to a roller derby training session by a mutual friend. I was hooked from the first minute and my team very quickly became my extended family!

How would you describe your skating style?
Bambi on ice with the odd random moments of brilliance!

What is it about skating that interests you?
I have always loved skating since I was a child. It’s fun and keeps you fit, but I love the different people that come together and find acceptance and enjoyment through one shared interest. 

Today is International Women’s day. What does that mean to you?
It’s an opportunity to highlight the great work many women do that goes largely unrecognised. 

How would you bring this to your skating?
Within a roller derby team we work hard to celebrate every success and build up members of your team, and recognise when they have done something great. Bringing positivity is key!

Are there any female skaters, current or in history, that inspire you today?
Kid Block is up there for me. I watched her skate with Tiger Bay Brawlers when I first started skating, been to the guest coach sessions she’s run with my team, and her enthusiasm and passion for the sport is infectious! I’ve followed her career so far all the way through to her transfer to London Brawling and playing for Team England. She has demonstrated that if you have a goal, you can achieve it with hard work and determination. 

We hope to encourage people to start skating. If you could give any advice to young aspiring skaters, what would it be?
Don’t give up. If you enjoy it then keep trying and learning. It may take 5 minutes to learn how to skate, or 5 years, but as long as you enjoy it, don’t give up. 

…and finally, why Roller Skating?
Why not?! It’s fun, it brings people together and it keeps you fit! I don’t know anything else that can do that :)